[Wolves] Do I hate Linux?

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Sun Jun 15 13:55:10 BST 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 06:45 +0100, dick_turpin wrote:
> The blog goes by the name of Linux Hater:
> http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com I've read all 27 posts, twice now, and
> have to say that a lot of what they say is, well, true! The only
> difference for me personally is I don't hate them for what they are
> saying in fact I found it refreshing that someone was 'Telling like it
> is' without worrying if they was going to be ostrasised from the
> community.

Thanks for posting this, not something I'd seen. Linux Hater's style is
a bit trollish, but their points are bang on. I've been guilty of a few
in the 'How to be a Linux User' (that's user pronounced 'fan boy'),
particularly 'If something doesn't work for you, tell yourself that you
don't really need it anyways.'

http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-be-linux-user.html

The fan boy phenomenon isn't unique to Linux/Open Source - Apple, Sony,
Microsoft, Nokia & others also have them to a varying degree. Ours are
quite rampant.

One has to realise, although annoying, fan boys don't matter in the long
term. Most fan boys are just cheer leaders, not actual leaders. There
are only a few people who both matter & share these traits. Those such
as Stallman and Theo, who do go off on one, are well known - their
messages are filtered accordingly.

> I cant make up my mind if they are a Windows user or not after all the
> writer appears to know a heck of a lot about Linux I cant even
> determine if they are Male or Female (Although their frequent
> references to their genitalia probably gives it away).

      * Almost definitely male, given the anatomical references.
      * A developer and user on Windows and Linux, given the platform
        knowledge.
      * Probably sold or done work on closed source software, given the
        packaging/library rant.

I can't decide if the bile is feigned or truly felt.

Well worth following, thanks. Alex