[Wolves] Digital camera for a disabled user?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 12:58:32 GMT 2008

Here's something to ponder which is close to my heart.  Some of you
know that I have arthritis pretty much in every joint of my body (I'm
not yet 45 so I don't class myself as old).  It's in my wrists and
fingers but, at the moment I can still manage to use my Nikon D50.
However, I've had a call for help from a friend whose mum is having
major problems with today's compact digital cameras.  The buttons are
too small for her to use properly because of arthritis.  It's great
that technology is making everything smaller but there's not much
regard to elderly or disabled end users :-(

So, does anybody have any recommendations for a good, compact (I use
the term solely as opposed to a DSLR), digital camera with easy to use
controls?  The lady who is looking for a camera is able to use a PC
but I don't know what OS she uses.  However, in line with 'thinking
for the future' it would be good to be able to recommend something
that works with Linux (ok, I'm optimistic that Linux is destined for
greatness in the next couple of years).