[Wolves] Equipment stolen

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 17:29:07 GMT 2008

Andy Wootton wrote:
> My home in Great Wyrley was burgled some time between lunch time and
> 10 pm yesterday.
>
> The following were taken:
>
> A Lenovo/IBM X41 running Ubuntu Linux (and my life). Serial No.
> L3AA6CZ, Part No. US2F8UK It has the outline of a removed Ubuntu
> sticker on the lid.
>
> and: (off-topic)
>
> An HP laptop with about a 15" screen and a Telford & Wrekin
> asset-number or security sticker (my wife's work PC, running Win XP)
> in a smart black briefcase-style case.
>
> A Lenovo ThinkPad T61 (?), my brand new work machine running Windows
> XP,  SQL Server and Visual Studio - I'm sorry! It had an E.ON asset
> number sticker on the front-let of the lid. Both this and the Ubuntu
> ThinkPad were in a new, black Targus backpack There were also a couple
> of memory sticks in the front pocket of the bag.
>
> A white Apple iBook G4, with worn-off key caps on the often used
> letters and a hairline crack in the right hand side bezel of the
> screen. The battery won't hold charge. This is my daughter's
> university machine, so it has OS X, OpenOffice.org, architectural
> models and a vast collection of music. Because she lived in a dodgy
> area of Nottingham it has UV pen markings  in a couple of places and
> SmartWater DNA paint of her Nottingham Postcode NG7 2BX on the front
> edge, which looks like clear nail varnish. Serial No. is UV4251BRR73
>
> A white Apple iMac G5 iSight with a faulty 'SuperDrive' Serial No.
> W8547CGUTAQ. It contains my son's final year video project for his
> Fine Art degree. He has no backup of the last week of his work
>
> If you hear or see anything of this equipment then please let PC 5704
> Goodwin at Watling Street Police Station on 08453 302010 know.
>
> My PC security tip - use ancient, crappy PCs with CRTs. Thieves don't
> go near them.

Thanks for all the messages of support. They pinched anything small and
expensive - cameras, jewellery and laptops. The iMac was just too
tempting because it was boxed up. I think our nearest Cash Converters is
probably Wolverhampton. I think my new strategy may be to stick to my
remaining "ancient, crappy PCs with CRTs" and use on-line storage. I'm
too aware of the chance of a repeat performance. I'll really miss my x41
though. It was beautiful :-(

Lesson for everyone - would your backup strategy work if your house was
stripped of computer hardware? I hadn't quite planned for that!

Woo