[Wolves] smb share on Ubuntu 8.04

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Thu May 1 23:04:18 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 16:08 +0100, baza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anyone point me out how to set up a SMB share on Ubuntu 8.04? There
> used to be a 'sharing' option I seem to recall, but can't find anything
> like that on this version. I've installed samba server and just want to
> allocate a shared directory now.

I was goin to say 'right click the folder in Nautilus, click Sharing
options'. However, when I clicked create share I got the error:

'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare
directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Permission denied
to grant you permissions to create a share.

Working for anyone else?

The manual way is to add an entry to /etc/samba/smb.conf, something like

[nameofshare]
   comment = Something descriptive
   path = /home/me/stuff
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes

> PS did anyone else find the permissions for sudo were set wrong?

Nope