[Wolves] Online Backup Services

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 12:33:54 BST 2008

--- Stephen Welch <bigfishinnet at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Adam, try ...
>
> 2008/5/9 Adam Sweet <adam at adamsweet.org>:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Can anyone recommend an online backup service? I'm
> looking for some 3rd
> > party backup space for a couple of hosted projects
> as an alternative to
> > having an always on machine and saturating my ADSL
> bandwidth and rat's ass
> > upload speed, I think about 20GB of storage would
> do it. Linux Format did
> > a round up of such things within the last year and
> for the life of me I
> > can't find the article. They mentioned one service
> which was affordable
> > and offered rsync and ftp access amomgst other
> things.
>

> <snip>
>
> www.rsync.net
>
> I cant make a personal recommendation yet as I
> really have not used it in
> anger but after much trawling on the net these guys
> seem reasonable.  They
> offer RAID 6 and Geo redundancy backup so it is real
> bomb proof assuming you
> have a decent internet connection.

Cool. That looks good actually and I think I'd be able
to swing an open source developer's discount too given
the nature of the projects.

All of the projects are in co-located hosting already,
it's just that the allocated backup space isn't enough
to make a reasonable effort at archiving backups. The
issue with my ADSL upload speed was that backing up to
an always on machine would be fine, assuming that the
electricity bill works out cheaper than online backup
hosting and I don't max out my bandwidth allowance,
but restoring a few GB of data on a consumer ADSL
upload speed would be dreadful.

Thanks, I'll take a good look at that one, I didn't
see it before.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/