[Wolves] Asus Eee PC 900 (Linux) - White (in Stock)

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Tue May 13 09:51:52 BST 2008

--- Fergus Allan <Fergus.Allan at aardium.com> wrote:
> I've been watching this discussion of computer
> prices et al regarding the
> eec.
>
> Why would you do it.  You can pick up a reasonable
> spec laptop, 1GB ram,
> hard drive, modern processor, screen, and vista OS
> for ~£200 including VAT.

The eee is neat because its small, light, cheap, runs
linux, its robust, powerfull enough for most tasks,
and Just Works.

This makes it an ideal machine for traveling with if
your not going to be working on it for hours but want
to be able to check your emails or look up train times
etc. Mine's been to london (twice) and san francisco

Its small and light enough for the extra weight not to
be a problem (not true of most sub £1000 laptops), its
actually quite hard to break (solid state storage with
no moving parts or fragile disk platters \o/ )and its
cheap enough that if I lost it I would be annoyed but
not as annoyed as if I lost my main laptop.

Plus it comes with linux preinstalled so all the
hardware is supported out of the box, and has firefox,
openoffice, terminal, rss readers, and everything else
you would expect of a kde desktop.

It also has frozen bubble, what more could you ask for
:)

The only downside is that the battery life is only 3
hours, but thats as good as most laptops so *shrug*

For a machine to use for hours everyday spend more and
get a bigger screen, for a travelling machine an eee
pc is ideal.

chris