[Wolves] xrdp

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat May 17 11:42:26 BST 2008

2008/5/17 Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>:
> Kevanf1 wrote:
>>
>> I've not heard of the xrdp server before Woo.  Am I correct in
>> assuming it allows a standard 'Network Drive' (Microsoft terminology
>> for a network connection to a 'share' on a different machine) to
>> either an 'app' or a 'share' onto a Linux PC running the server?  So,
>> if I wanted I could set up a share from the XP machine to my Linux
>> machine and run say GIMP from the Linux PC on the Win PC?  Or does it
>> need a folder or something setting up?
>>

> I haven't tried it yet because I haven't move to Hardy yet but I understand
> it uses Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection client to create a window in
> which you can have a complete Linux desktop environment in a similar way you
> could with a windowed X environment by installing an X display 'server' on
> Windows.
>
> You could sit a a Windows laptop with no extra software on it and connect to
> an Ubuntu box and get a complete Ubuntu desktop. Graphics intensive apps
> would probably suffer a bit from the desktop being piped across the wires
> but standard text stuff should be fine. One of my colleagues uses RDP from a
> laptop at home to the development environment on his desk at work to program
> and manage databases (all Windows) rather than try to keep the environment
> on his laptop in step or work on a low-powered laptop all the time.

That actually sounds like it could have saved me a bit of work not too
long ago.  I have an old Dell PII running XP - no particularly strong
reason it just is - but it only has a 6gb drive.  I added another 6gb
drive to put some extra programs on as XP had taken up so much room.
I could have used an xrdp server instead and used my Kubuntu PC.  I
may still try it at some future date.

Thank you for the explanation :-)