[Wolves] xrdp

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat May 17 16:16:48 BST 2008

Kevanf1 wrote:
> 2008/5/17 Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>:
>
>> Kevanf1 wrote:
>>
>>> I've not heard of the xrdp server before Woo.  Am I correct in
>>> assuming it allows a standard 'Network Drive' (Microsoft terminology
>>> for a network connection to a 'share' on a different machine) to
>>> either an 'app' or a 'share' onto a Linux PC running the server?  So,
>>> if I wanted I could set up a share from the XP machine to my Linux
>>> machine and run say GIMP from the Linux PC on the Win PC?  Or does it
>>> need a folder or something setting up?
>>>

>> I haven't tried it yet because I haven't move to Hardy yet but I understand
>> it uses Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection client to create a window in
>> which you can have a complete Linux desktop environment in a similar way you
>> could with a windowed X environment by installing an X display 'server' on
>> Windows.
>>
>> You could sit a a Windows laptop with no extra software on it and connect to
>> an Ubuntu box and get a complete Ubuntu desktop. Graphics intensive apps
>> would probably suffer a bit from the desktop being piped across the wires
>> but standard text stuff should be fine. One of my colleagues uses RDP from a
>> laptop at home to the development environment on his desk at work to program
>> and manage databases (all Windows) rather than try to keep the environment
>> on his laptop in step or work on a low-powered laptop all the time.
>>

> That actually sounds like it could have saved me a bit of work not too
> long ago.  I have an old Dell PII running XP - no particularly strong
> reason it just is - but it only has a 6gb drive.  I added another 6gb
> drive to put some extra programs on as XP had taken up so much room.
> I could have used an xrdp server instead and used my Kubuntu PC.  I
> may still try it at some future date.
>
> Thank you for the explanation :-)
No problem. I had to check the Win XP command - it is mstsc (with /? for
all the options) i.e. 'MicroSoft Terminal Server Client' even though it
says "Remote Desktop Connection" when it runs.

The only thing I don't like about this is that people are going to start
using a Microsoft protocol between Linux boxes because it's easier than
doing things in X, even though X is much more flexible (e.g. single
applications from multiple servers in separate windows.)