[Wolves] Kmail, imap and Gmail

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Mon May 19 12:34:01 BST 2008

Stuart Langridge wrote:
>> Aq are you trying to send from the right port?  It should be 443 if
>> memory serves.  But if you go into settings on the gmail web interface
>> then onto pop/imap you can check by looking at the port settings for any
>> of the clients
>>

> Yeah, yeah, I tried all that. I don't care any more, anyway; I'm not
> persevering with KMail, 'cos I didn't like it :)

Hm works with Thunderbird too and I can sync my Contacts, Grr need to
get that working with Kontact.

Just to set the record straight Kmail is the mail client component of
Kontact it can be used as a standalone mail client however gives better
integration when used in conjunction with Konact giving ease of access
to Contacts, Calendars ect. It 'looks' very similar to Evolution its
just that they are laid out slightly differently to each other. Both
have the 'look & Feel' of Outlook which as a business user myself is not
a problem in fact its a benefit if you are a Windows user looking to
move over to Linux "Better the devil you know" and all that.

IMO Evolution is too bloated and the evolution data server is hooked
into way too many apps and I don't like the way it displays and threads
messages. Its one redeeming feature is its MS Exchange integration which
is probably the best implementation on the market at the moment.

As I said on a channel the other day "One mans meat is another mans poison"