[Wolves] "Peter Cannon has just exploded!" - Mail clients?

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Fri May 23 20:31:12 BST 2008

2008/5/23 Dave Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com>:

> I use evolution.  Thunderbird is nice but I never liked it as much.
> There is a nice applet called checkgmail (install it via synaptic and
> install all the extras).  Also you might want to try claws-mail.

Yeah Claws is pretty good and has some cool plugins (If you can get
them working) actually if you take a step back for a minute Kmail,
Thunderbird and Claws look and feel pretty much the same.

I felt that maybe I wasn't giving Evolution a chance seeing as it'd
been at least 3 years since I last looked at it so I installed it on
the Linux Mint on my laptop. Have you ever done anything stupid like
seeing how long you can hold your hand over a candle? Thats how I felt
, I tried I really did but its frigging awful! As Adam said (I think)
"Too much screen real-estate is taken up by it, the UI feels over
cluttered with buttons and options. I hate the bubble that pops up
telling me I have a mail, it doesn't thread the way I like and it
feels as though its dragging arse across the floor in the hope of
keeping up with new arrivals of mail.

On the plus side I really did like its integration with Google
calendar that worked really well for me but I couldn't figure out how
to get my address book working :-(

This is another plus for Evolution over Kmail nee Kontact unless I
want to ponce around with GcalDaemon, Evolution works 90% out of the
box whereas Kmail don't (In respect of Google)

In conclusion I still hate Evolution, Kmail might have a 1995 look but
its business like and I work in an office what else am I gonna prefer?

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution.
Utilising a Rolling Release System. So there's no need for a fresh
install!