[Wolves] OT: Windows is 25

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Sat Nov 29 18:39:54 UTC 2008

> On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 16:21 +0000, Ron Wellsted wrote:

> > There's the problem! it hasn't had long enough to mature yet (Next
> > year is the 40th Anniversary of Ken Thompson starting to design & code
> > UNIX(tm).)
>
> On the subject of mature technologies, The register had a pleasant piece
> on mini computers from the 70s.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/29/personal_computing/
>
> I don't know if any have made into a museam yet, but I'd be interested
> to go and see a PDP one day. Alex.

I was talking to a HP[1] engineer a few days ago who told me that he was at a site the previous week to fix a problem with the PDP11 that still ran their production line. Turned out mice had been nawing on their punch cards.

chris

[1] HP bought Compaq who had previously bought Digital who produced the PDP aquisition and merger fans