[Wolves] IPTables

Simon C. Burke simonb at geek-web.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 09:43:02 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Yet another potentially easy question.

My home server is starting to resemble a sieve in terms of open ports:

21/tcp   open     ftp
22/tcp   open     ssh
25/tcp   open     smtp
80/tcp   open     http
110/tcp  open     pop3
135/tcp  filtered msrpc
136/tcp  filtered profile
137/tcp  filtered netbios-ns
138/tcp  filtered netbios-dgm
139/tcp  filtered netbios-ssn
143/tcp  open     imap
389/tcp  open     ldap
443/tcp  open     https
445/tcp  filtered microsoft-ds
465/tcp  open     smtps
993/tcp  open     imaps
995/tcp  open     pop3s
1080/tcp filtered socks
3128/tcp filtered squid-http
6588/tcp filtered analogx
8081/tcp filtered blackice-icecap

All the ports labeled as open are used with the exception of ldap, but I
can rectify that easily enough.
However the filtered ports are a bit of a problem. For instance, squid is
listed but I've never installed it on my system. Samba NFS etc are
currently disabled as I have no need for it on this box.

How would one close these to the outside world?

As this is my web/mail server and not stricly on my LAN it doesnt have an
private IP just a public.

Regards,
Simon.