[Wolves] off topic: vote for this band

Zeth theology at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 11:28:06 UTC 2008

2008/9/9 Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com>:
> Of course I am...aren't we all ;-)  No, it was a generalisation.  Like
> many others I fear, I've had the sharp and barbed tongue from many
> otherwise very knowledgable Linux users simply because I dared to
> stray off topic.  I've even had it for asking a simple question about
> Linux.  That's the reason I left the official SuSE mailing list.

Going even more off-topic, often I find in IRC channels that every
adjective I know seems to be a swear word in America. Americans have a
weird obsession with censoring speech, even in situations where it can
reasonably be expected that everyone is an adult or near adult. Yet in
American children's TV, the hero can machine gun or laser everyone
merrily, as long as he doesn't swear or misuse the Lord's name in the
process.

I always thought it odd when they kept censoring Linux Torvalds's
comments on Groklaw; to the point where Linus stopped posting there.
Anyone who can read thousands of words about the legal implications of
open source, and then read the comments too, surely can handle his
(rather mild) words.

Any parent who lets their young child use any communication technology
without supervision, has probably much bigger problems of child
neglect than reading the odd new (rather mild) word on Groklaw or in
the #gentoo-python channel.

The justification is always well someone might be using the IRC
channel at work (sounds very hard work), however I have never worked
in an IT place that used child labour, so I don't see how that
argument makes sense.

Best Wishes,
Zeth