[Wolves] off topic: vote for this band

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 13:11:21 UTC 2008

2008/9/9 Zeth <theology at gmail.com>:

> The justification is always well someone might be using the IRC
> channel at work (sounds very hard work), however I have never worked
> in an IT place that used child labour, so I don't see how that
> argument makes sense.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Zeth

Ah, now this I can speak of with experience :-)  A lot of workplaces
actually ban IRC and similar channels.  It was frowned upon at W'ton
Uni when I worked there.  Until I pointed out that they were actually
a vey useful addition to the many other sources of knowledge.
Especially for myself and my colleagues who worked in IT!

However, many workplaces are like the very worst 'nanny state' when it
comes to language.  It only takes one person to be offended by an even
moderate 'swear' word or profanity and the member of staff who has
accessed the medium with that word in use can be reprimanded quite
severely.  Stupid because they have no control over it which is then
used by the company to enforce its rule.

Sorry, that came out overly wordy so my apologies for that.