[Wolves] Help needed pretty urgently please.

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Tue Sep 30 14:00:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 02:18:21PM +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:
> 2008/9/30 Ron Wellsted <ron at wellsted.org.uk>:
>
> > Hi Kevan,
> >
> > First I do not have any php nuke experience but  my first question
> > would be what had changed just before the blank pages occured?
> >
> > Next I would look at the web server log files for the past day to see
> > if anyone had tried to break in.  What is the user registration
> > method?  is there admin moderation of new users.
> >
> > Can you get/have you got ftp access or control panel access to the
> > website?
> >
> > Check the contents of the .htaccess file (I once fell foul of some
> > rewrite rules which ended up with me re-installing 4 websites!)
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > --
>
> Hi Ron.  I'll ask the site owner about any recent changes he may have
> made.  I'm pretty sure new members would be moderated but, it's not
> always the new ones who can cause trouble :-(  As I've found running
> Freecycle groups.
>
> Access... I honestly don't know.  I was asked if I had any experience
> in this area and I have zero.  I used to code in html and that's it.
> My html is way out of date now and as for the php stuff... not a clue.
>
> Thank you for the help though it does start the ball rolling on
> finding out what has gone wrong :-)
> --

A little more diging suggests that there is a problem with the database
(see http://www.blackcountrygob.com/forum).

There is also a possiblity that some files/directories have been lost
(the theme style sheet
http://www.blackcountrygob.com/themes/skylinegrey/style/style.css is
404) (speculation: have some config files gone AWOL?)

The good news is that the RSS feed
http://www.blackcountrygob.com/backend.php seems to be working!
(although the most recent item is July 2008).

--
Ron Wellsted
ron at wellsted.org.uk http://www.wellsted.org.uk