[Wolves] Boot Failed with new motherboard

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Wed Apr 8 09:24:45 UTC 2009

Claire wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have just changed motherboard from an AsRock Dualcore-sata2 to an MSI
> P43 Neo-F (MS-7519) which has a different sata controller from the old
> one and booting is failing with can't find /dev/root.
>
>  From what I've read I think this is because I need to rebuild the
> initrd image with the correct sata kernel modules included. I have
> booted from a mandriva one live cd and the drivers appear to be
> pata_jmicron, ata_piix and ahci. I believe these need to be added to
> /etc/modules.preload.d before chrooting somehow and using mkinitrd to
> build a new initrd.
>
> Can anybody guide me through this please?
>
> Everything I've read assumes you are still able to boot from hdd but I
> can only access it through the live cd at the moment.

Boot from a live CD, make a directory under /mnt which corresponds to
your partition layout, for example if you have / as sda2, make a
directory called /mnt/sda2. Mount your root filesystem under /mnt/sda2
and if you have any other partitions, mount them as /mnt/sda2/boot or
/mnt/sda2/usr and so on. Then chroot yourself into /mnt/sda2, which is

chroot /mnt/sda2

Now your inside your hard disk's filesystem. Without doing it right now,
I don't know if you need to mount the other partitions after you chroot
yourself in...

What you do next is something I don't know about under Mandriva. I did
under Ubuntu about 4 years ago:

http://blog.adamsweet.org/?p=92

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wolves/2005-July/015403.html

Almost certainly things have changed slightly since then and I don't
know how Mandriva does things.

Hope that points you in the right direction, you just need to do the
Mandriva specific parts.

Ad