[Wolves] low power linux

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Fri Apr 17 12:00:50 UTC 2009

Andrew Lewis wrote:
> What would people suggest as a good distro for divx  on an 800mhz Via
> EPIA 8000 mobo?
> I'm looking for divx and audio playback, torrent and web browsing -
> nothing more, nothing less.
> I was thinking of Debian, but I'm open to suggestions. I was wondering
> about KnopMyth or something similar.
>
> Ideas, thoughts?

Hey SplineBoy ;-)

Depends on what you mean by Low Power?

If its small footprint then we're talking DSL, Yellow Dog etc.
TBF Debian Et Al (Even Arch) can all have a 'minimal' install so adding
desired app's and dependencies would give you a fairly lightweight setup.

The killer is GUI, I'm currently favouring openbox after a nasty
experience of KDE4 making my CPU run at 100% 99% of the time. But of
course as you know there's XFCE, Fluxbox yadder, yadder, yadder. :-)

Then there's SLIM (Simple Login Manager) which is pretty minimal but
then again "Who needs a login manager?"

Hope that helps.