[Wolves] Using EXIM to send messages from OUTSIDE the network

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Thu Aug 27 12:28:30 UTC 2009

Wayne Morris wrote:
> Could someoen enlighten me the correct way to set up exim to allow just
> me to send email via my exim server
> when connected to another provider.#
> ie I currently have it set up to allow users on 192.168.1.x  to send -
> internally and to the outside world.
>
> How would I edit exim.conf to allow me to send when I'm out on the road?

In all honesty it's probably not an easy starting point to move an
existing live mail server to using SMTP authentication without lots of
trial and error. You'd at least have to invest some time into research
and testing on a spare machine.

If you can't get your head around it then the easiest way around it
would be to do an SSH port redirection. You'd have to set up a NAT port
forward an SSH connection on your firewall or router to your mail server
if it's behind a NAT (or just open up the firewall if it has a public
IP) and then use SSH to point port 25 on your machine at the customer's
location, over SSH, to port 25 on your mail server. Something like this:

sudo ssh -L 25:localhost:25 myname at myserver.com

Here you need to be root or use sudo to gain control of port 25 on your
local machine as it's a priviledged port. You now just tell your mail
client that your mail server is localhost.

You could make your local port (the one one the left in the
example)something like 5555 and tell your mail client to use that port
for the outgoing server which would mean you don't need to use root or
sudo, which is preferable.

After previous experiences, you might want to hide SSH on an uncommon
port and make sure you set up strong passwords for every account.
Assuming you pick something like 7194 for SSH and use port 5555 for your
local mail server port, your command would now look more like:

ssh -L 5555:localhost:25 myname at myserver.com -p 7194

If you don't how the hell this works, read man ssh and look at the -L
section.

I see you're using using the Windows version of Thunderbird, so if
you're doing this on Windows you'd have to use something like PuTTY, I'm
pretty sure you can do all these things with PuTTY, but you'd have to
figure it out.

Alternatively I could probably set up one of my super duper mail servers
for you for a smallish fee or host your mail for you for a smaller fee
:) Mail me off list if you're interested and you want a price and a list
of features. It would be a lot cheaper than getting a company to do it
for you, I think my mail servers are excellent :)

Regards,

Adam Sweet

- --

http://blog.adamsweet.org/