[Wolves] Ubuntu 9.10 install

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 13 08:51:52 UTC 2009

drop to cli and check the xorg log?
----- Original message -----
> I am having problems with installing Ubuntu 9.10. As I start the installation
> process and before I get a GUI, it seems to be probing the monitor and then a
> small box appears on screen and floats around like a screen saver. The box has
> Hz and ? next to it which indicates to me it is not able to recognise the
> settings of the monitor. This is very surprising given that I have never had any
> problems with any previous installations of Ubuntu or other distros for that
> matter. The monitor is working fine with current installation. I tried to do a
> safe graphics install but that did not make a difference. i tried the LXF dvd as
> well as the cd I downloaded and both behave in the same way. I tried Mandriva
> from the LXF and that was OK. I really prefer Ubuntu.
>
> Any
>  ideas?
>
> Use Mandriva, its a better distro anyway :)
>
> Chris Ellis

Hi

So far, I have tried both the 'try' and 'install' options and neither work. I could try other distros like Mandriva, but the point is that we should not have these problems today, I thought we have left this behind years ago.

Linux will not catch more people if you have to do work under the bonnet. Thats why I said "its such a shame".

The issue I really have is that I want a decent wireless connection without the hassle of CL work. I was working at CL yesterday all day to get a wireless connection going, changed and played around with etc/modprob.d  and ndiswrapper files and network tools to no avail. I wanted a clean install of the lates Ubuntu and you know the rest of the story.

The odd thing is I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my father-in-law's laptop and everything works fine, even the wireless connection from my router and he is in the house next to ours, with a garden in between!!! So you can imagine my frustration when I am about eight feet away from the router and can only get a connection equivalent to dial up!! :-(

Mo