[Wolves] Progress

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Wed Feb 25 17:49:48 UTC 2009

009/2/25 Claire <lug at sitesearcher.co.uk>:
> It could happen quite quickly, compulsory competitive tendering is
> already in place for outsourced work.

As one of those evil public sector IT drones, I'll believe it when I
see it. All we've seen so far is an annoucement. Ministers make lots
of those, because they're cheap and attention grabbing. If any follow
up is to have an impact, it will need a fundemental change in civil
service attitudes and employment patterns

Ed Parsons' (ex Ordnance Survey CTO, now Geospatial Technologist for
Google) has made some comments, on the wider issue of governement IT
procurement, which to me range very true:

http://www.edparsons.com/2009/02/uk-government-starts-to-get-open-source/

Alex