[Wolves] Happy New Year

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 14:51:00 UTC 2009

2009/1/1 member dick_turpin <dick_turpin at archlinux.us>:
> 2008/12/31 Adam Sweet <adam at adamsweet.org>:
>
>> Happy New Year everyone. Hope 2009 brings you everything 2008 couldn't.
>
> This New Year should be interesting, while walking the dog this
> morning at 7.00am I met three blokes (at various points on my route)
> two had no coat or at least a decent jumper and one was walking home
> with just socks on his feet!
>
> Is this a portent of things to come?
>
> I saw a sad sight on Tuesday, Woolworths (Bloxwich) was chucking out
> perfectly good stuff like Kettles, Irons and various electrical goods.
> They had a skip in the side road where crowds had gathered to pillage
> the contents that the poor employee was chucking out some had even
> taken up residence in the cafe opposite and watched eagerly cup of tea
> in hand for the next deposit, threw their cup of char down and ran
> across the road to leap in the skip and haul their loot back to the
> cafe where they proceeded to exhibit the wares with pride to other
> euphoric revellers.
>
> What a sad testament on human nature, I thought, reminded me of
> vultures picking over a carcass that they had not been brave enough to
> kill themselves in the first place if they needed a kettle so bad
> maybe if they had gone into Woolworths and purchased the bloody thing
> it might not of gone bust.
>
> Mind you I'm just as bad, Woolworths (Cannock) was selling a humongous
> plasma screen for £30.00 I was livid that I'd missed that one ;-)
>
> Happy New Year

Woolworth's sowed the seeds of their own downfall about 20 years ago.
They cut back drastically on the number of ranges of items they sold.
At one time you could guarantee to go into Woolies and get what you
wanted no matter how obscure.  Austrailan Woolworth's you still can...
if they are still in business?  Are they run separately?

Ok, answered my own question.

http://www.woolworths.com.au/

Now that is how Woolworth's should be.  It was amazing walking into
their when I was over there in 2000/2001  it was like stepping back in
time to the real proper Woolworth's.