[Wolves] Microsofts sudden release of GPL code

Simon B. simonb at geek-web.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 10:29:55 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I assume many of you are aware that recent Microsoft submitted a patch
to the Linux Kernel, which improves performance when running within a
hyper-v environment.

Which to me is not really a bad thing, though it is mainly beneficial to
Microsoft as a bit or PR. As Both Xen (in the Citrix form) and Hyper-v
are trying to get market space from VMWare. :

Today, they have also released a Live Services Plugin for Moodle
(source:
http://port25.technet.com/archive/2009/07/21/the-live-services-plug-in-for-moodle-debuts.aspx
).

I'm now curious as to the direction they are taking. I don't feel like
its a move for more interoperability, and it more likely a PR/Marketing
exercise. Though from the LKML it appears we can expect further patches
from them also (them = hyper-v team, at least).

Where do you guys reckon this is heading?

I can happily say that if there is a decent MAPI plugin released in the
future from Microsoft, (though I seriously doubt they would or if they
did it would be closed source). I can finally rid the need for a Windows
box.

Thanks,
Simon.