[Wolves] Microsoft has submitted the code to the Linux kernel

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 12:01:59 UTC 2009

2009/7/25 Stephen Parkes <sparkes at westmids.biz>:
> 2009/7/21 Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com>:
>> 2009/7/21 Re-LoaD <reload at brum2600.net>:
>>> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/262693/hell-freezes-over-as-microsoft-submits-linux-code.html
>>>

>> Wow!!!!!  Now all we need is for Deron Beale to release Freecycle UK
>> from the grip of a small number of people in the US and we shall start
>> to see even more freedom
>
> Big rant coming up so tune out now if easily offended ;)
>
> I totally ignored the rules when I started the Wolves freecycle
> because they are total bollocks.  The idea is anarchist so it makes
> sense to let each community police itself and behave in an autominous
> fashion.   I left the site to run itself and when I returned it turned
> out that the other maintainers had made it so every message needed to
> be approved and loads of rules needed to be enforced as if being
> forced to use Yahoo wasn't enough.   Fucking bollocks if you ask me
> and I know you didn't but it all happened at a particually bad point
> in my life and I lost a couple of friends due to them wanting to be
> lackys to the heirarchy rather than allowing the community freedom to
> run itself.
>
> Things like Freecycle don't need control they should be an example of
> anarchy in action but some people have to control everything they are
> involved in for their own self esteem and the whole Freecycle system
> seems to be run along those lines which is why I'm not even on the
> local freecycle lists anymore.
>
> The whole Freecycle thing ephasises the bits of the Free Software
> community I have problems with.   Some people do things for others
> first and themselves second and don't need their name attached to
> things (The late Richard Rothwell was a prime example of doing things
> for the right reasons) and others don't have an altrustic bone in
> their body and everything is done to further their own name or
> careers.
>
> Some of those guys are still good guys even if you have to try hard
> not to be pissed off with their decisions sometimes it's not
> automatically a bad thing to want to improve your own standing if you
> also do good but others seem to be more concerned with their own
> standing than the community and the Freecycle hierachy with a page
> full of anti competitive and totally unfree rules stuck out as the bad
> kind to me.   A good idea turned away from it's natural home by people
> who have to try and control.
>
> Sparkes
>
> --
> Steve 'sparkes' Parkes - blog zx-81.com

Very much what I have been campaigning for (freedom) for the last 3
yers in the Freecycle world.  It ultimately led to me being
blacklisted by the top dog in the USA and me bieng deemed "unsuitable
to represent 'The Freecycle Network'.  Sonow I'm helping other groups
who have seen just how restrictive and ultimatley money grabbing for
about 4 or 5 people in the USA 'The Freecycle Network' has become.

It's why I set up Freeworld-Recycling to none political, completely
none profit (TFN is about making a profit from advertising and sod the
people actually running the groups).  On one group I am a co-owner of
a member has put forward the suggestion that being a 'Freecycle'
moderator is akin to being a member of a cult.  I can actually see the
analogy.

Anyway, Sparkes, you may wish to know that I am a sleeping co-owner of
Wolves Freecycle now.  I'm helping them to slowly see the light.

To bring all this back to Linux and open source software.  We get a
lot of PC's offered that are too old to run Microsoft OS's (apart from
Win 98 at the latest) but are perfect for the smaller Linux distro's.
I do my best to push this fact and to spread the word that there is
life after Microsoft, though, without overpowering evangelism :-)

Kevan Farmer
Linux user #373362
Staffordshire