[Wolves] Midori Web Browser

member dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Wed Jul 29 10:36:02 UTC 2009

Hi All

Its raining and I'm ranting! (No Dave Ranting not raving)

So I heard about some speed tests that was done with various browsers
and apparently Midori
http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html came out on
top.

So like the good little OSS user I am I scurried off to install it,
openSUSE has it via their 'One-Click' so that was pretty straight
forward. Full of excitement and trepidation at the promised speed I
clicked on the icon. FAIL!

The stupid thing keeps saying "I crashed and burned, I know lets ponce
around with the settings maybe I'll work then?" yeah right I've ticked
un-ticked and sworn "Work you f'ecking bar-steward" all to no avail. I
know lets start it from a terminal and see whats wrong;

sales at linux-du10:~> midori
** (midori:19553): CRITICAL **: katze_array_get_nth_item: assertion
`KATZE_IS_ARRAY (array)' failed
(midori:19553): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
** (midori:19553): CRITICAL **: katze_array_get_nth_item: assertion
`KATZE_IS_ARRAY (array)' failed
(midori:19553): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
** (midori:19553): CRITICAL **: katze_array_get_nth_item: assertion
`KATZE_IS_ARRAY (array)' failed
(midori:19553): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
** (midori:19553): CRITICAL **: katze_array_get_nth_item: assertion
`KATZE_IS_ARRAY (array)' failed
(midori:19553): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
** (midori:19553): CRITICAL **: katze_array_get_nth_item: assertion
`KATZE_IS_ARRAY (array)' failed
(midori:19553): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
midori: symbol lookup error: midori: undefined symbol:
soup_session_get_feature

OK lets leave all the above on one side for a minute, Midori do a
Windows version so I downloaded that true it all runs from a folder but
who cares the point is it runs!

So here's my rant, you want me to be a Linux/OSS fanboy. Then produce
stuff that works FFS make an RPM, .deb or whatever that has everything I
need if you cant then stop making the bleedin thing! I'm you're target
audience you want me to give up MS yet you expect me to have the skill
and knowledge to fix or at the very least get your steaming pile of fail
running under Linux.

If you are into writing programs and code remember who you are writing
for, you are doing it for Joe Average not fellow coders they can write
their own app Joe Average just wants to install it and have it work the
same as it does on Windows he doesn't have to faff about with lib.so ect
he clicks the .exe and it works!

/me goes back to nursing a bottle of valium

--
Regards
Peter Cannon
IRC: dick_turpin at freenode.net