[Wolves] Midori Web Browser

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 11:13:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 11:35 +0100, member dick_turpin wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Its raining and I'm ranting! (No Dave Ranting not raving)
>
> So I heard about some speed tests that was done with various browsers
> and apparently Midori
> http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html came out on
> top.
>
> So like the good little OSS user I am I scurried off to install it,
> openSUSE has it via their 'One-Click' so that was pretty straight
> forward. Full of excitement and trepidation at the promised speed I
> clicked on the icon. FAIL!
>
> The stupid thing keeps saying "I crashed and burned, I know lets ponce
> around with the settings maybe I'll work then?" yeah right I've ticked
> un-ticked and sworn "Work you f'ecking bar-steward" all to no avail. I
> know lets start it from a terminal and see whats wrong;
>
> sales at linux-du10:~> midori
> ** (midori:19553): CRITICAL **: katze_array_get_nth_item: assertion
> `KATZE_IS_ARRAY (array)' failed
> (midori:19553): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
> `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> ** (midori:19553): CRITICAL **: katze_array_get_nth_item: assertion
> `KATZE_IS_ARRAY (array)' failed
> (midori:19553): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
> `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> ** (midori:19553): CRITICAL **: katze_array_get_nth_item: assertion
> `KATZE_IS_ARRAY (array)' failed
> (midori:19553): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
> `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> ** (midori:19553): CRITICAL **: katze_array_get_nth_item: assertion
> `KATZE_IS_ARRAY (array)' failed
> (midori:19553): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
> `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> ** (midori:19553): CRITICAL **: katze_array_get_nth_item: assertion
> `KATZE_IS_ARRAY (array)' failed
> (midori:19553): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
> `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> midori: symbol lookup error: midori: undefined symbol:
> soup_session_get_feature
>
> OK lets leave all the above on one side for a minute, Midori do a
> Windows version so I downloaded that true it all runs from a folder but
> who cares the point is it runs!
>
> So here's my rant, you want me to be a Linux/OSS fanboy. Then produce
> stuff that works FFS make an RPM, .deb or whatever that has everything I
> need if you cant then stop making the bleedin thing! I'm you're target
> audience you want me to give up MS yet you expect me to have the skill
> and knowledge to fix or at the very least get your steaming pile of fail
> running under Linux.
>
> If you are into writing programs and code remember who you are writing
> for, you are doing it for Joe Average not fellow coders they can write
> their own app Joe Average just wants to install it and have it work the
> same as it does on Windows he doesn't have to faff about with lib.so ect
> he clicks the .exe and it works!

> [...]

Fair point oh wait midori works on ubuntu in jaunty and karmic :P That's
because it package correctly.  Have a look at redhat too I believe
midori is being considered as default browser for xfce so again it
should just install.  I got a feeling dude that this might just be down
to a poorly executed package creation which happens.  So I hope you
filed a bug against it in the opensuse bug traker like the good oss guy
that you are? :)

Hope that helps pete but probably not that much :)
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk