[Wolves] Alpha 1200 (install guide for dummies)

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Fri Jul 31 09:05:54 UTC 2009

Stephen Parkes wrote:
> I'm sure you can crack it ;)

I shall write this up properly if I actually mange to get it going. I'm
amazed at the *dead end* crap that is on Google regarding installing on
an Alpha.

OK in laymen's terms;

Switch the alpha on, eventually (It takes a while) you will be presented
with a prompt this is *SRM* at this stage *(Not aboot)* do:

boot dka500 -flags 0

dka500 should be your CDROM (dkb being your HDD's i.e. /dev/sda (hda))

The system will the switch to aboot:

you will see: aboot dka500.5.0.1.1 and start disc1 (CD1 I am using the 3
CD set)

Graphical installer starts, everything is fine so far, enter language,
hostname, unfortunately I'm stuck at the minute as it cannot see the
hard drives I'm assured the driver is DAC 960 but even after selecting
that it still fails.

I'm now wading through the bilge on Google looking for an answer.

"I'll be back"