[Wolves] Thanx and Question

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Mon Jun 15 08:06:29 UTC 2009

Octavio Augusto Sánchez Velázquez wrote:
> Thanx everybody for the welcome, now, I have a question.
> My mom has this laptop which she only uses for presentations and it is
> dam slow. Of course it has windows XP I want to kill this OS of her
> laptop and get a useful one. it is a Compaq presario 700 with a mobile
> AMD Duron Processor at 493 MHz (I know, it is an old one) 112 MB ram.
> So my question is What distro should it fits best for my mom. It must be
> possible to install a desktop manager, as long as my mom would not
> understand the CLI. and She requires some presentations maker, something
> compatible with ppt. and a word processor compatible with .doc Thank you
> very much...

Hi Octavio

All the Buntu fanboys/girls will of course say Ubuntu however as your
mum is a soon to be ex XP bod you might consider Mandriva its one of the
easiest distros and makes most XP users feel at home.

Of course if you really want to chuck mum in at the deep end stick
Chakra on (dick_turpin cant resist promoting Arch)