[Wolves] HP Mininote 2133 for £200

Chris Ellis chris.ellis.intrbiz at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 7 16:10:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/7 Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com>:
> > I dropped into PC World today as I was passing and they are selling the
> HP Mininote 2133 for £200 and it seems a few other places are too as HP are
> dropping the 2133 in favour of an Atom based Mininote 1000s. It's a Via C7-M
> processor at 1.2GHz (marginally less speedy than 1.6GHz Atom, remember clock
> speed isn't everything), 1200x768 resolution which is more than any other
> netbook, 1GB RAM, 120GB hard disk, wireless B/G, bluetooth 2.0 and webcam
> running the slightly dated SUSE 10.1.
> >

> It's not the clock speed that would make me go "eww" but the fact it's
> a Via C7-M. They're not exactly quick. Even a Celeron M wipes the
> floor with the C7, let alone the Atom.
>
> Avoid IMO.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

However VIA's new nano processor does beat the atom and is a far for
innovative design, including 1MB of cache.  Its a shame its not out in any
netbooks yet.  Especially as it is pin and bus compatible with the C7 so HP
could drop the nano into the 2133 with no extra design effort.  Which If i
get adventous with my soldering iron I may do :).

Also the C7 will beat the cellery and atom and encryption tasks any day due
to the Padlock engine, hardware RNG, AES 256, etc.

CE