[Wolves] Adding a new hard drive

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Tue Mar 10 20:22:28 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 15:24:51 Howard Berry wrote:
> Hello All,
> I have been quite happy using Ubuntu so that I decided to get rid of XP .
> This was precipitated by the fact that I was also running out of disk
> space. Now I have been given some work to do using Sage and "Microsaft"
> Office. So I will have to put XP back. I have bought another hard drive and
> propose to move the current drive with Ubuntu on to the subsiduary bay so
> that I can install Windows where it will be happiest on the first hard
> drive. What I want to know is how I can get Ubuntu to put a new GRUB on the
> first hard drive without having to re install Ubuntu. Will I need to get
> rid of the old GRUB MBR?
> I suppose there is info somewhere on this, but you may be able to give me
> the griff straight away!
> Thanks,
> Howard Berry

There is a number of opticians open to you;
Disconnect the Ubuntu drive, install XP reconnect Ubuntu then use Super Grub
this will also give you 2 B'zillion options, you can fix grub, reinstall, or
use it as a boot loader.
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Or

Use Smart boot Manager. This has saved my bacon hundreds of times over the
years mine is an old version on a floppy disc but works (For me) every time.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

Of course you could re-install Grub

Finally I'd go with Claire's suggestion and use Virtual Box, seeing as you
have a shiny new HDD plonk all your VM's on that .

Enjoy