[Wolves] AdSense 'Interest Based' advertising

Claire lug at sitesearcher.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 11:11:03 UTC 2009

Today Google sent a warning to advertisers to make amendments to their
privacy policy as they are introducing 'Interest Based Advertising'. It
looks to be AdSense based. Can anybody recommend a method of blocking
them? *TIA*

This is something I strongly object to, I feel it is the thin end of the
wedge of an industry wide invasion of privacy.

The Google email is below:

Hello,

We're writing to let you know about the upcoming launch of
interest-based advertising, which will require you to review and make
any necessary changes to your site's privacy policies. You'll also see
some new options on your Account Settings page.

Interest-based advertising will allow advertisers to display ads based
on a user's previous interactions with them, such as visits to
advertiser website and also to reach users based on their interests
(e.g. "sports enthusiast").  To develop interest categories, we will
recognise the types of web pages that users visit throughout the Google
content network.  As an example, if they visit a number of sports pages,
we will add them to the "sports enthusiast" interest category.  To learn
more about your associated account settings, please visit the AdSense
Help Centre at
http://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/topic.py?topic=20310&hl=en_GB.

As a result of this announcement, your privacy policy will now need to
reflect the use of interest-based advertising. Please review the
information at
https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=100557&hl=en_GB
to ensure that your site's privacy policies are up-to-date and make any
necessary changes by 8 April 2009.  Because publisher sites and laws
vary across countries, we're unfortunately unable to suggest specific
privacy policy language.

For more information about interest-based advertising, you can also
visit the Inside AdSense Blog at
http://adsense.blogspot.com/2009/03/driving-monetization-with-ads-that.html.

We appreciate your participation and look forward to this upcoming
enhancement.

Yours sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team