[Wolves] AdSense 'Interest Based' advertising

Claire lug at sitesearcher.co.uk
Sat Mar 14 13:17:34 UTC 2009

I was reading about the Doubleclick DART cookie. It seems to be cookie
based, you're right. I've blocked doubleclick cookies using firefox
preferences and installed an ad blocker, if it works then I'll look at
blocking doubleclick at the router. Will let you know. Currently they're
not getting any ads through which doesn't benefit anybody.

I know about Phorm and bad phorm. I think it's a disgusting abuse of
privileged access to personal data. I know the EU are currently
considering pressing the govt into taking action against BT. Kind of
wonder why they haven't done so already and what implications it has
that they haven't. Not that I don't have absolute faith in our elected
officials of course..
The trouble with having a sneakily compiled database of personal
information, albeit depersonalised for its intended use as far as we
know, (apart from having the database in the first place) are it's other
uses.

It isn't restricted, as far as I can tell, to account holders, and
google advertising is pervasive enough to be equivalent to Phorm through
the back door!