[Wolves] backing up methods

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 08:41:45 UTC 2009

2009/5/8 John Rose <john.aaron.rose at googlemail.com>:
> The disk used on my laptop is approximately 40GB. I want to back it up to a
> usb 1TB drive, formatted as FAT32 (which also contains films as they're too
> big for my laptop's disk). As I understand it, the max file size on a FAT32
> device is 4GB.  I don't see any option in gzip to split large resultant gzip
> files. The best option seems to me to be to use Partimage, which allows
> resultant split files.
>
> So my thoughts are:
> to backup the laptop disk partition (only one partition n the disk) to the
> usb drive monthly, using th split files option,
> to backup the /home directory to the usb drive monthly and occasional
> incremental using Simple Backup,
> possibly to separate the /home directory into a separate partition.
>
> Is the above the best way to go?
>
> Regards,
> John
> 07894 211434

Hi John.  Now, I'll state right away I have not used this system that
I'm about to describe.

Are you using FAT32 because you need to use the 1TB drive with
Windows?  If so, you have another option that will allow bigger file
sizes than 4gb.  I believe you can use ext2 as the filesystem with a
plug in for Windows so that it can read it.  I don't know what the
file size limit is for ext2 but I'm sure it's a lot bigger than 4gb.
Would this help?  FAT32 is also very wasteful of space so you'd
utilise that drive far more efficiently.