[Wolves] backing up methods

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Fri May 8 10:18:57 UTC 2009

John Rose wrote:
> Kevan,
>
> I don't intend to use the usb drive with Windows: even if Id id I would
> use the extfs plugin on a Windows PC. At first, I formatted the usb
> drive as ext3, but I ran into permissions problems re copying files
> (using cp) from /home to it. This seemed to be due to gconf-editor
> system/storage options. So I reformatted it as FAT32. I'll try again
> reformatting it as ext2.

Ext3 is Ext2 with added journalling, so that if the power goes out then
your machine can work what was happening at the time the power went and
roll back to the last consistent state. In general, this will mean
losing any files which were partially written at the time of the power
out. The permission structure will be the same under ext2 and 3, so you
will need to get it right. I never had any problems backing up and
restoring files to and from an ext3 USB disk, so you should be fine
moving the files around provided they are owned by the same user and
group IDs on each device.

If your user was the first real user (ie not the root user) added to the
system during installation you would be assigned uid and gid 500. If you
copy your files to the USB disk, reinstall your machine and this time
your own user is the second real user added to system you will end up
with uid and groupid 501, at that point you would hit permission
problems because the files are owned by the user with uid and gid 500.
In a worst case scenario, you should just be able to chown them to which
ever user you want using sudo and you should be fine. That said, if
something weird is going on with HAL/gvfs then you might get the
problems you describe. Not sure how to help you there, but you could
statically mount the disk the old fashioned way with mount.

FAT32 is horrible and won't preserve any file permissions, not really
what you want when restoring your files, use ext2/3 if you can.

Ad