[Wolves] backing up methods

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:35:12 UTC 2009

2009/5/8 John Rose <john.aaron.rose at googlemail.com>:
> Kevan,
>
> I don't really need to format the usb disk as ext3 because I only want to
> use it for 3 reasons: to store films etc on it (which I also have as DVDs),
> to keep monthly backup copies of the full file system (excluding /media
> etc), and to keep backup copies of /home (full monthly & incremental
> occasional). So ext2 is quite sufficient.
>
> The advantage of FAT32 is that it allowed me to set (in gconf-editor) for
> system/storage/default_options/vfat, gid=users (after putting all my users
> in Group users and adding a line for gdi= in
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/20-storage-methods.fdi: this then
> allows me to write to a memory stick and FAT32 formatted usb drive for any
> user irrespective of which user was logged in when the memory stick was
> mounted. Obviously, I could do this using Nautilus.
>
> When I now use partition editor to partition/format the usb drive as ext2,
> it sets the owner & group as root. This then prevents me (in Nautilus)
> creating directories and copying files to it:. So I have to use the CLI
> (which I'd prefer not to use) to do these tasks with 'su root'. This then
> results in all dirs & files having owner & group as root unless I remember
> to cp -p.

Ah, I do understand this having been there myself more than once.
However, there is a way around it.  Now, I'm stepping outside of my
comfort zone so I'll appeal to those who know more than me.  But, my
idea is that you should be able to create a special group with
permissions to access the drive.  You'd just need to make sure all
theusers who you want to be able to have that access are fully paid up
members of that group.  If I am wrong then please forgive me.  I know
that it would need a simple entry in the fstab' but it's been so long
tht I had to delve into there that I honestly cannot remember what it
wouled need to be.  Here's where I'm hoping somebpdy can step
in...please :-)