[Wolves] Introduction

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue May 12 13:38:33 UTC 2009

2009/5/12 Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com>:
> Be interesting to find out what the true stat's are.

Nobody actually knows for certain how many people _download_ or _run_
Ubuntu. Given someone can get an ISO from a mirror, a CD from shipit
or get it from a friend, it's near impossible to know how many people
have it. Its also impossible to know how many people have installed
it.

This is an interesting read on the subject of quantity of users:-

http://mrooney.blogspot.com/2009/05/counting-number-of-ubuntu-users.html

At the end it makes some wild speculation that we have around 24
million users! Clearly a number pulled mostly out of his ass^H^H^Hhat.
The only number we've ever been given is "8 million" and that was ~2
years ago. Whilst it would be possible to count numbers on mirrors,
and how many people check in with the time server, there's never going
to be a real way to know.

In my experience in the "real world" I see people using it more often
than I expect. Two guys got on a train I was on and started talking
about upgrading to the next release of Ubuntu. There's a couple of
guys who run it on the train I get each day. My boss at work runs it
at home and the guy sat next to him too.

Cheers,
Al.