[Wolves] Any Courier IMAP gurus out there?

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Fri May 15 00:59:09 UTC 2009

Paul Harrison wrote:
> I am trying out a bit of email server stuff and have got stuck.
>
> Progress so far:
>
> * Debian Etch 64 bit on dedicated server
> * Exim installed & configured: mail is being delivered on CLI
> * Courier IMAP is the current problem.  When I telnet in I get all the right
> "connection to mail exchanger failed" which after five attempts times out.

Not 100% sure what you mean by this, however:

  - Messages would be received and delivered into mailboxes on the server
    under the control of Exim
  - Courier would be used to access the mailboxes from a client

As such, the problem would be with Exim rather than Courier. When you
say that mail delivery works from the CLI, do you mean the equivalent of
(to quote the FAQ you refer to):

nebula:/home/jasonb#  echo "my test" | mail -s "test message" jasonb

It may be the case that mail delivery works "within the machine", but
inbound messages from other hosts on the network are being rejected. I
suggest running "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" again and ensuring that
the correct option is selected, or editing any ACLs, firewall rules,
etc, as appropriate.

To test connectivity from another machine, try:

telnet <mail-server-ip> 25
and
telnet <mail-server-ip> 443

...to test basic SMTP and IMAP connectivity respectively. If SMTP
doesn't connect then you won't be able to receive mail.

Sending to <your-username>@<mail-server-ip> from a mail client on
another PC should hopefully result in a delivery. If you browse through
"Maildir" within the user's home directory you should find a file
containing the message contents.

Hope this helps,

James