[Wolves] Today's Guessing Game

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Tue May 26 10:20:15 UTC 2009

Re-LoaD wrote:
> Can you boot from a live CD ? or Hirens.

Actually SUSE has probably the best Repair feature of any distro out
there, its pretty much a wizard GUI similar to the installer. It will
check 'everything' or just the bits you choose, such as Grub for
example, the only downside per-say is that it only knows about anything
that is on the DVD so for example it will tell you your Kernel is
rubbish along with your apps if they have been upgraded at any point.

There is a message saying something along the lines of "Look here winkle
we might be clever but we ain't clairvoyant,  you might wanna ignore
this coz its not really an error it might be you have newer than we
have." although letting it overwrite stuff is not a problem it just
means you'll have to update all over again.

Grub is not broken so running the rescue is pretty pointless, I doubt
Grub menu is faulty either I think its as I say possibly a Grub install
on /mbr that's there and wrong. 99% of the time it runs perfectly with
just the booting hickup which while being a pain is not a show stopper.

As for Claire's point its a desktop with a Video7 monitor, every Linux
distro gets it parameters wrong for this model but experience has taught
me how to deal with that. Its not monitor/screen related its Xorg/Display.

Unfortunately Xorg.log is about as much use as a one legged man in an
arse kicking competition. :-)