[Wolves] Adobe-flashplugin pain

Howard Berry howard at berry-loubaud.com
Thu Nov 5 11:52:12 UTC 2009

Greetings,
I have been away and therefore not been following the mailing list, so
forgive me if this problem has been solved.
I installed Karmic over the weekend and then yesterday I had the bad idea of
trying to listen to radio 4 on my system. I was directed to Adobe's site and
down loaded the flash plugin. Woe is me for I then descended into a maze
that always ended in the same place- not where I wanted to be.
Synaptic came up with the following message. ( And it still has nothing
further to add )

E: The package adobe-flashplugin needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find
an archive for it.
E: Internal error opening cache

Then, I received an error icon in the task bar which suggested that I run
the Update Manager. Once it was opened it suggested a 'Partial Upgrade' to
repair the issue and I selected 'Yes'. This is the message I received:

Remove package in bad state

The package 'adobe-flashplugin' is in an inconsistent state and needs to be
reinstalled, but no archive can be found for it. Do you want to remove this
package now to continue?

When I select 'Yes' I receive the following error message after Update
Manager attempts to resolve the problem:

Package in inconsistent state

The package 'adobe-flashplugin' is in an inconsistent state and needs to be
reinstalled, but no archive can be found for it. Please reinstall the
package manually or remove it from the system.

When I tried to remove the plugin package Synaptic repeats the error message
and then closes so I cannot uninstall it. I have also tried using apt but it
refuses to uninstall the package.
I got this message:
E: Unknown Error: '<type 'exceptions.SystemError'>'(E: The package
adobe-flashplugin needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for
it.)
run parts: /etc/update-motd.d/90-updates-available exited with return code
255

Do I have to do a complete re-install?!
Howard
--