[Wolves] Fwd: [SC.LUG] 3 Strike Petition

Peter Cannon dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Wed Nov 25 15:54:34 UTC 2009

Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/11/25 Peter Cannon <dick_turpin at archlinux.us>:
>> Yet another white noise petition IMO while I agree a three strikes rule
>> is bad I'm a firm believer in "If you've done nothing wrong you've
>> nothing to fear"
>>

> What if you've done nothing "wrong" (in the eyes of the law) but the
> record companies think you have? _They_ get to point the finger and
> claim you're guilty, you get cut off, no trial, no legal process.

Er no Al there is due process if 'in the eyes of the law' you have done
nothing wrong there is no legal precedent to terminate your Internet
service.

Record companies have no power to terminate a service and ISP's would be
silly to terminate purely at the request of them as this would leave
them open to litigation.

> To suggest that the legal process will work and you're fine if you do
> nothing wrong is naive and blinkered.

Yes it will, you can insult me all you like, I agree there are lots of
miscarriages of justice cases but I still believe if you can prove you
are innocent of an Internet offense you have nothing to fear.

> Fact is record companies and
> their agents frequently get it wrong by claiming individuals have
> breached their copyright when the person in question has valid reasons
> why this would not be the case.
>
> http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7495.cfm
>
> "RIAA lawsuit hits family with no computer or Internet access"

Please RIAA is USA they have a history of stupidity and zealousness
I agree this story is terrible, but I take it it was resolved so I don't
see the point thats trying to be made other than an initial panic upon
receipt of the legal action notice.

Here in the UK if I run up bad debts in my house and you move in those
black marks spill over to you as its based on the address as well as the
individual thats what happened there, no heinous skulduggery just facts
of life. It might be a pain to sort out but is pretty easy to achieve.

> If they feel they have enough case against someone that they can throw
> a lawsuit at someone, think how many _more_ of these cases there will
> be if it's as easy as them just reporting alleged violations, with no
> lawsuit required.

I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry than worrying about Timmy Smith
downloading the odd DS game which brings me neatly back to my original
point of "If you've done nothing wrong"

:-)