[Wolves] Debian Lenny on HP ML115 G5

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Fri Oct 9 10:52:03 UTC 2009

Morning everyone.

You know those cheap HP tower servers that a few of us bought nearly a
year ago, has anybody used Debian Lenny on one? Specifically I'm talking
about the HP ML115 G5, not the ML110.

I've recommended the purchase of one for work as a cheap box to do a Red
Hat and Xen training course, it's certified by HP on RH 4 and 5.
Afterwards it will be an office server running Debian Lenny, we're a
Debian shop.

I've used Debian Etch, RH5 and Ubuntu 8.10 on my own, but I can't find
anybody talking about using Lenny on it and saying whether it works ok
or not. Debian removed some firmware and modified some drivers to comply
with their Free Software Guidelines between Etch and Lenny. I'm pretty
sure the network card driver might be one of them, but the firmware is
loadable, otherwise it's easy to put another card in it, but I'm more
concerned about the disk controller and I don't have a spare SATA disk I
can test on. I'd like to see it installed. A live CD is only partial
assurance, but better than nothing.

Has anybody here got any experience. I don't need to know about Etch,
Ubuntu or Red Hat cos I can already confim those from experience.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/