[Wolves] Debian Lenny on HP ML115 G5

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Fri Oct 9 12:39:15 UTC 2009

Alistair Sutton wrote:
> 2009/10/9 DragonMaster <LUG at clews.homelinux.net>:
>> Adam Sweet wrote:
>>>  A live CD is only partial
>>> assurance, but better than nothing.
>>>
>>> Has anybody here got any experience. I don't need to know about Etch,
>>> Ubuntu or Red Hat cos I can already confim those from experience.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Adam Sweet
>>>

>> Now, I'm going to show my ignorance here, but why is the live cd only a
>> partial assurance - surely it will prove that the distro works on that
>> hardware...??
>
> In theory, yes, but occasionally there are bugs that prevent a proper
> installation from working. I believe Ubuntu had some bug in one of
> their releases that meant an install from the Live CD would not work
> properly (of course I could just be making it all up).

Yeah that's the same. I'm just being skeptical here. I'm 99% sure it
will work fine without trying with a live CD.

It's only a £200 server and work are paying, but I won't take chances
with anybody else's money because if I'm wrong I'm going to look like a
dick. At that point I think it's sensible to ask for other people's
opinions.

Well a live CD isn't the same as an installation in the same way that 1
and 0.9 aren't the same. It is a valid test, but it's easier to ask if
anybody has run Debian Lenny on the machine.

I value your opinions more than I value the outcome of using a live CD,
because if you've done it and it worked then it works. If you use a live
CD and it works, then an installation *should* work and that's not the same.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/