[Wolves] Linux vs Windows 7

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 13:53:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 14:16 +0100, dick_turpin wrote:
> DragonMaster wrote:
> > Ah, but the difference here is that MS is inherenly tied to a single
> > browser rather than offering a choice.  But this is a specific example.
> > Where I was coming from was that on the distribution cd/DVD/respository
> > you will find pretty well everything that a user will need - graphic,
> > sound, development packages et-al.  And they are all included in the
> > price.
> >
> OK with my pedantic hat on, so lets say MS produced W7 Uber Ultimate
> with every MS app/service for 70 squillion quid would that be
> acceptable? Would lusers stop saying "Ah but I get everything with
> Linux" would they start saying "That's not fair, they shouldn't be
> allowed to do that" ;-)
>
> I'm just interested TBH I already know the answer.
>
> P.S.
> Don't fall into the dead end argument of thinking I'm an MS fanboy a
> fairer description would be a non MS hater, I've striven for the last 8
> odd years to promote Linux on its own merits and you'll rarely see me
> make any comparisons about MS other than to stop lusers spreading MS fud
> which IMV is pointless and counter productive.

I'm with Pete to a degree here.

1.  This is how sales teams work the world over.  They only point out
how good their product is over whatever competition is out there, right
Pete ;)

2.  Companies have been doing this for years.  To add to it they also
offer Shops incentives to sell their products too, so lets say PC world
sell 150 hp laptops a month hp might swoop in give them a talk on how to
sell their product over the competition and tell the company that if
they double sales in the next month they'll give them a further discount
etc etc.  In turn the company says sell these over those and we give you
an extra bonus if you sell 400 knowing it's a target that is hard to
reach but also that they will likely hit the 300 and then save having to
shell out the extra commission on top.

Call me a pessimist.  But I've been there I know how it works :)

So in reality it's not so much fud as MS trying to get sales which is
after all how they stay open :)  I think it's great that Linux has
become such a threat that they have had to lower themselves to this.  So
go LINUX!!!!

P.S. I too hate MS too.  But I can also see why they are doing this
which makes me happy.  :D
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk