[Wolves] Linux vs Windows 7

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Mon Sep 7 16:03:45 UTC 2009

Dave Morley wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 15:28 +0100, dick_turpin wrote:
>
>> Dave Morley wrote:
>>
>>> I'm with Pete to a degree here.
>>>
>> Oh gawd there goes my street cred as a grouch
>>

> Hey anything I can do to upset you Pete you know me ;)

I've ripped this off from Jono Bacons new book which I'm currently
reading I'm sure he won't mind.

Quote:
"DON’T BUILD YOURSELF UP BY TEARING OTHERS DOWN
Buzz is a great thing. It’s all about the glass being half full. It is
about celebrating opportunity, and
identifying what collaboration can achieve when we all share the same
passion.
Unfortunately, some communities and leaders feel that spreading negative
energy is an acceptable
way of furthering their own communities. Second to fibbing about your
community, disparaging
another community for your own benefit is about the worst thing you can
do. It makes you and your
community appear petty and indignant. Unfortunately, particularly in
online communities, this
happens more often than not.

153

BUILDING BUZZ
As members of your community get more and more well known (and this
could include you), a sense
of representation often sets in. People begin to feel that they need to
not only defend the community
at all costs, but to do it publicly. We then see disagreements and spats
played out in embarrassing
detail, making the participants look like over opinionated teenagers."

End Quote

This is a pretty good example of what I was saying you can apply these
two paragraphs to MS bashing. As a salesman I never run another product
down there's no mileage in it promoting the positives of an item I am
trying to sell while semi refusing to discuss an alternative is the art
of persuasion and as Jono says it makes you look unprofessional.

OMG I'm quoting Jono Bacon quick someone slap me ;-)