[Wolves] Linux vs Windows 7

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Sep 7 16:51:48 UTC 2009

2009/9/7 John Rose <john.aaron.rose at googlemail.com>:
> Stephen,
>
> It appears to me that you you have just given a good reason to develop on
> nix for implementation in nix or Windoze. This would give less aggro & brain
> strain. For implementation in Windows, then install to run under Lina.
> Disadvantages are slow run time and potential difficulty in installing Lina
> on customer's PCs. I'm happy to be shot down over this.

lol, shooting down commences :)  but a gentle one because Lina looks
decent in some cases just not in mine.

My current project is all about speed.   It's a twitchy 2d shooter
game with tens of thousands of particles on screen at once.  If speed
wasn't such an issue I'd probably develop it in python where it would
run identically but when you get to the point you start considering
using assembly to speed up a loop you don't want another level of
abstraction.

Even for Desktop apps I don't think there is that much of a need for
Lina if you develop using gtk or wx or something you can develop cross
platform stuff pretty easily anyway.