[Wolves] Wireless connection for new Linux user

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 4 09:38:13 UTC 2010

Just added another convert to the Linux family. However, The latop is a HP Pavilion dv 2000, installed Ubuntu for her. There were
two problems:
1- The Ethernet connection did not work
2- The wireless worked but only on an oldish  BT Router b/g type

The first issue,  I found out HP posted an issue for this laptop regarding the Ethernet connection not working due to a faulty Bios chip. I didn't want to go through the process of flashing the Bios, which incidentally you can only do through a windows application!, as this is alwyas fraught with potential disasters. Since she will not be using that connection I left it well alone.

The second issue I used a USB connection directly from the router to update Ubuntu and download and install the drivers for the wireless on the laptop. It reported two Broadcom drivers the bg type and the STA type. I tried both drivers and the wireless connection will only work with the b/g router but not the N router. Do you think this is due to the different protocols supported by the drivers? The b/g connection uses a WAP 40 and 128bit encryption, and the N router uses WAP personal. Could it be the wireless chip only supports b/g and WAP 40 and not the newer one?

All sorted. They have a Netgear router which talked nicely to the laptop!

Mo