[Wolves] +Hi+

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Thu Apr 8 10:21:33 UTC 2010

Stephen Parkes wrote:
> On 8 April 2010 10:40, Dave Morley <davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm going to block the user
>
> errrm that's Dan.  He's been a member for 10+ years now and is a top
> notch bloke and sysadmin it's not like he is a spammer.
>
> I got in touch with him last night.  He logged into his gmail account
> from a cybercafe in Cyprus and has ended up with everybody he has
> emailed in the last couple of years getting spammed.  It could happen
> to any of us and has happened to lots of us :)

It happened to me last year, sadly. Thinking about it, probably after
I'd used a cybercafe in Cyprus.

+1 for Dan btw, he is a good, clueful chap. I think the problem we have,
as Dave Morley pointed out with my Yahoo break in and drive-by spamming,
is that there's no way to preview the content of a mail which stopped
and waiting for moderator approval, so he basically has to make a guess
based on who the sender is and any clues in the subject line. Think
that's what you said isn't it Dave?

As an aside, the OpenBSD mailing lists get quite liberally spammed and
nobody pays any attention (ie Theo doesn't care, everybody agrees with
him and anybody who disagrees gets trodden on). The assertion is that
it's up to the end-user to be clueful enough to recognise spam and
ignore it.

Anyway, yawn. Let's move on.

Regards,

Adam Sweet