[Wolves] Well, I thought I'd best say hello.

Richard Barker richard.barker at quietwatercourse.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 18:03:16 UTC 2010

On 30 April 2010 16:11, Peter Cannon <dick_turpin at archlinux.us> wrote:

> On 29/04/10 22:01, Richard Barker wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I've been lurking here for a fair while and thought I'd best introduce
> > myself.  I'm Richard, I've been using Linux on and off for a few years
> > now and I'm hoping to get a little more involved if I can, I feel that
> > I'd like to give something back.
>
> Why what have you taken?
>
> > I started with RedHat 6.2 and SuSE.  I tried Mandrake 10 and when Ubuntu
> > started, I switched to that for a while.  I had some grief with acpi
> > that led me to CentOS for a while and after a little meandering, I'm
> > running my laptop on Debian stable and dual booting my desktop between
> > debian stable and Vista.
>
> Top man I started out on RH 6.1 or 2 it all seems so long ago now.
>
> > I've got some experience with PHP on LAMP, having attended one of Jono
> > Bacon's courses at OpenAdvantage
>
> Well thats you buggered then.
>
> > and used what I learned to build a
> > couple of systems for previous employer a few years ago.  More recently,
> > I put together a Python meditation timer and a web based equivalent at
> > http://sitquietly.quietwatercourse.co.uk.
> >
> > Rich.
> > --
> > http://quietwatercourse.co.uk
>
> Excellent.
>
> P.S. Dont believe anything anyone says about me I'm a fluffy kitten and
> never say anything horrid, and I have the patience of a saint.

I only took the things that weren't nailed down.  Honest guv. ;-)

The training course was a good thing TBH, I'd been learning from the PHP
manual and Google, but actually having some formal training made a great
deal of difference.  I've been enjoying watching Linux grow over the years,
it's great that it's now at the point that I can put it on a second hand
laptop with minimum fuss for my Dad to use, and he gets on with it fine.

--
http://quietwatercourse.co.uk