[Wolves] MySQL

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Aug 2 12:37:30 UTC 2010

On 2 August 2010 13:28, Peter Cannon <dick_turpin at archlinux.us> wrote:
> On 02/08/10 13:11, Stephen Parkes wrote:
>

> OK
>
> Things I always find confusing is;
> "should it have a key?"
Assume the answer to this is always yes and you can't go far wrong.

> "How the hell do I know if its intger?"
if it's a whole number it's going an int.

I tend to have a primary key based on a autoinc integer even if there
is another field that looks like it could be a unique key.  They work
well and don't break.

This is because the fuckers always add an exception to their business
rules at some point and it's your fault it doesn't fit in the
database.   This will either happen long after the project is finished
(but still be your fault) or be one of a million fails that didn't
feature in the original specs when you come to sign off.

also it's not "The database doesn't work and it's your fault" it's
"The whole factory has stopped working and it's your fault"  :)

This is why I prefer to make games.

Steve