[Wolves] PostgreSQL talk

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 13:25:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 01:09 +0100, Chris Ellis wrote:
> Hi
>
> Several people expressed interest in a PostgreSQL talk at LUG.  As
> mentioned, I would be very happy to give a talk on PostgreSQL.  As It
> would give me a chance to cover some topics I'm hoping to speak on at
> an upcoming PostgreSQL conference.
>
> What topics would people be most interested in? (A few suggestions below)
>  * Basic intro to databases and SQL
>      - goals and ideas behind a relational database
>      - what is SQL
>      - quick overview of the SQL syntax
>      - common SQL commands
>  * What is PostgreSQL and why do I love it
>  * Getting started with PostgreSQL, pgAdmin3 and psql
>      - installing
>      - basic initial configuration
>      - creating relations and constraints
>      - data types and extensions
>      - querying data
>      - manipulating data
>      - using psql instead of pgAdmin3
>  * Performance tuning
>      - performance configuration parameters
>      - tuning for differing workloads
>      - knowing when the planner is better than you
>      - query optimisation
>      - using EXPLAIN
>      - benchmarking
>      - statistics, the planner and autovacuum
>  * Full text search
>      - querying a table using FTS
>      - making it quicker
>  * Hardware issues and considerations
>      - RAID controllers
>      - doing it on the cheap
>      - general tips for good database hardware
>  * Spatial data
>      - overview of PostGIS
>      - creating spatially extended tables
>      - spatial queries
>      - making spatial queries faster
>  * Procedural SQL
>      - overview of functions
>      - creating a PL/PGSQL function
>      - arguments and variables
>      - queries
>      - control statements
>  * Replication and clustering
>      - overview
>      - asynchronous vs synchronous
>      - Slony, DRBD, HAProxy
>      - upcoming features in V9.0
>      - caveats
>  * Using PostgreSQL from your application
>      - Java
>      - Python (Maybe, if Alex would give me a hand)
>  * Case studies
>      - how I make use of PostgreSQL at Shropshire Council
>      - Skype - PL/Proxy and a overview on how Skype aim to scale
> PostgreSQL to handle 1 billion users
>  * Where to go for help
>      - manuals
>      - books
>      - mailing list
>
> The above list is probably to long for one evening, so please express
> what would be of most interest to you.  It would also be useful to
> have a hint as to peoples skill level with SQL.
>
> I will try to bring my PostgreSQL server and or make access to some so
> that we can experiment.  I will also get some test datasets sorted
> out, along with some real world situations..

> [...]
I'm very interested.  It would be good to do an introduction for those
of us who aren't db admins ;)  other than that it all looks good.

I can run a weekend event on either the 11/12 or 18/19 of septermber.
We are away every other weekend till mid october.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk