[Wolves] Vacancy - Junior PHP Developer

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Fri Feb 12 12:20:16 UTC 2010

Peter Cannon wrote:
> roundyz at hotmail.ru wrote:
>
>> I'm not too sure on the php salery for a junior developer, but either
>> way that wage is low for any developer, language aside. You could
>> just as well change the word "junior" for "graduate" to justify the crap
>> wage. If they can only allocate 15 grand a year for this position, they
>> should perhaps look at employing a seasoned developer part time, I'm
>> sure productivity and experience would be increased.
>
> To be honest I've been following Linux/OSS jobs for over a year now, it seems
> standard practice to;
>
> 1. Offer an appalling low wage.
> 2. Ask for skills in as many disciplines and areas as possible.
>
> As an example I've seen jobs where a Mysql developer was required however the
> criteria asked for stuff like Perl and Ruby on rails I get the feeling certain
> employers want someone to actually look after 'A' but they know those people are
> expensive so offer jobs looking after 'B' with the mention of 'A' in the job
> requirements so they can get someone on the cheap.

On this topic, I just saw the following:

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/JobSearch/JobDetails.aspx?NoExpire=1&JobId=46644057

Requires Windows PC and Server, Linux, Cisco, MS SQL Server, networking
and BIND/DNS skills with 2 years commercial experience with an ISP and
they're offering £18-20k. You're fucking joking! How about the moon on a
stick for 20p?

Admittedly it's first line support so perhaps they're thinking of a
basic understanding of each, but man, people get paid over £35k for
knowing that stuff inside out.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--